Minutes for the 2004 Fall meeting - Cornell
The meeting was called to order by President Telesca at 6:11
In attendance were President Telesca, Past President Larry
Josbeno, President-elect Cindy Schwarz, Secretary-Treasurer George
Amann, executive Board members Dr. Mohammed Tahar, Dr. Monica Plish,
John Fitzgibbons, and Joe Drenchko.
The minutes of the Spring meeting were moved by Joe Drenchko and
seconded by John Fitzgibbons. The minutes were accepted
The treasurer's report was accepted.
- A discussion regarding renewal notices for membership dues
ensued. Dr. Tahar will check with Dr. Mancuso's secretary to
determine if there exists a membership list with expiration
- Dr. Plish reported everything was ready for the conference
with 38 people pre-registered.
- Larry Josbeno reported on the joint APS/AAPT outreach program
for improving K-12 Science Education. The application deadline for
the award is October 10, 2004. Additional information may be found
on the New York State APS website. Larry sent out 3800 postcards
for the APS to advertise the grants.
- Lowell Sylwester reported via e-mail on the status of the
NYSS/AAPT website. Lowell has taken over from former web master
Tom Mellin, and is currently revising the site.
- Lowell also reported that liability insurance for the
organization is arranged. The bill will be forwarded to the
treasurer and is expected to be approximately $250/year.
- Executive Board member Joe Zawicki arrived at 6:55 with
guest Dan McIssac.
- Andy Telesca reported that executive board member Rob Robinson
will organize the spring 2005 meeting at Marist College. If Spring
2005 meeting can not be done by Marist, Cindy Schwarz will
organize the meeting for Vassar. As an alternative the College of
St. Rose was suggested.
- Larry Josbeno reported that the present plans call for
the fall meeting for 2005 be a joint meeting with the New Jersey
Section. Larry will contact the NJ Section to pursue this
- John FitzGibbons gave the Section representative's
- Larry Josbeno suggested that we develop a newsletter new
AAPT members. President Telesca will write a letter to members
regarding dues and outlining the benefits of joining
- Cindy Schwarz suggested a the section sponsor a series
of "dinners" for local physics teachers near the conference site
to advertise NYSS/AAPT and allow the teachers to network. Any non
NYSS/AAPT members at dinners would be NYSS/AAPT guests at the
meeting following the dinners.
- John Fitzgibbons made a motion for a $500 starter program
to take local physics teachers near the site of the conference
out to dinner to discuss local physics problems, NYSS/AAPT and
general networking. All people not presently members of
NYSS/AAPT at these dinners would be NYSS/AAPT guests at the
following meeting. This program will be administered by Cindy
Schwarz. The motion was seconded by Larry Josbeno. The motion
- Joe Drenchko made a motion that NYSS/AAPT offer a free
copy of Tales From the Sub Atomic Zoo for each person who joins
NYSS/AAPT for three years, or renews their membership for 3 years
(or longer). The motion was seconded by John FitzGibbons. The
motion passed unanimously.
- Planned future meetings were discussed
- Spring 2005 &endash; Marist
- Fall 2005 &endash; Joint meeting with New Jersey Section
- Spring 2006 &endash; Joint meeting with New York Section of
APS at Colgate
- The NYSS/AAPT section applauds the efforts of Dan MacIssac for
his efforts at the spring 2004 joint meeting with the New York
Section of APS.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:55 PM.