Minutes of NYSS-AAPT Executive Board Meeting
April 13, 2002
Present: Joe Derenchko, Carl Sheppard, John Fitzgibbons, Larry Josbeno,
Lowell Sylwester(presiding), Andy Telesca, Ken Evans, Mike Herzog,
Bernadine Cook, Dick Mancuso
Informal discussion before the meeting proper.
The Meeting Proper
- Treasurer's report. Itemize the reimbursements. They were not
itemized on the 12 April 2002 report.
- Mailings should go out to members who are in arrears in their dues.
- Get new teachers on the membership list. "Spread the word." Mentors
for the new teachers?
Afternoon session-Robinson and Linz were present as observers.
- Minutes of the 12 October 2001 meeting at Syracuse.
- It is Nancy Moreau not Nancy Monroe.
- We got off on the 5 October 2002 meeting at Cobbleskill which did not
relate to the minutes of 12 October 2001; however, the discussion is
important to note here. Possible speakers mentioned were: Galkik-Standard
Model, Amann-Demonstrations, Mellin-computers, Cummings- Physics
Education, Someone on the New Syllabus, Eppenstein-?
- Minutes of 12 October 2001 accepted as corrected.
- Treasurer's Report
- See item under Informal discussion...,above.
- Balance in checking: $557.86.
- Balance in savings: $23,190.27.
- Mancuso will go through the secretary/treasurer materials to see if he can
come up with a name and address for a person at Six Flags and Sylwester will
contact his contact at Six Flags-we have not received any dollars from Six
Flags this year.
Mancuso found a letter, dated 26 Mar. 1996, from Walter Simon of Six Flags
in NJ to Doug Fielder.
- Treasurer's Report: accepted.
- The Winter 2002 Meeting in Philadelphia
- Cook submitted reports on the Section Officers' Exchange, Section
Representatives' Meeting and the Council Meeting. Dick has hard copies.
- In the second to last paragraph of the Section Officers' Exchange, it
was noted that those who belong to national do not necessarily belong to a
section and vice versa. Motion: Josbeno, seconded by Fitzgibbons that the
secretary get NYS membership from national and Long Island and put them on
the nyssaapt mailing list. Carried: 9-0.
On Tues. 9 July Mancuso contatcted Valarie Evans of AAPT. Valarie
will mail Mancuso a disk and hard copy of all AAPT members with NY zip codes.
Mancuso will add all AAPT members who are not nyssaapt members to the nyssaapt
mailing list. Mancuso will then send Valarie the nyssaapt members who are
not AAPT members.
- In the spirit of attracting new members and, at the same time, providing
seed money for projects intended to bring physics-related projects to the
general public and, in particular, to K through 12 students, Fitzgibbons made
a motion, seconded by Shepard that nyssaapt create an outreach program, similar
to that of nysaps. The essence of the proposal is that up to five awards,up
to $1000.00 each, be made each funding cycle. Carried: 8-1.
- Motion: Fitzgibbons, seconded by Drenchko that $150.00 be allocated to
the grants committee to advertise the awards this year. Carried: 9-0.
- Election results:
Executive board:( four year terms) Pompi, Mellin, Lombardi, Drenchko
Richard V. Mancuso
- Mancuso-make sure to get the nyssaapt report to national this summer.
On 9 April 2002 Mancuso mailed the following to Steve Iona, Horizon HS
5321 E. 136th Ave., Brighton, CO 80601 as the nyssaapt report:
- Minutes of The Executive, Syracuse, 12 October 2001.
- Minutes of The Executive, Oneonta, 13 April 2002.
- The Announcer, Section News, NY, Vol. 32, p. 45, Spring 2002.
- The Announcer, Section News, NY, Vol. 32, p. 31, Summer 2002.
- Flyer and program for the Syracuse meeting, 13 October 2002.
- Flyer and program for the Oneonta meeting, joint with nysaps, 12-13 April 2002.
- Regarding insurance: Sylwester will pursue obtaining a private policy.
- New business.
- Travel subsides were deemed to be OK.
- Service Award Committe: Mancuso(chair), Cook, Herzog, Pompi, Evans.
- Elections Committee: Pompi(chair), Telesca, Mellin, Shepard, Linz.
- Future Meetings.
- Fall 02-Cobleskill
- Spring 03-Geneseo, joint with nysaps.
- Fall 03-Broome Tech(?)
- Please send Mancuso short biographical sketches so that they may be used
for elections and other ways, as needed.